← Back to News

Toronto’s Expo 2025 campaign should get federal support, say proponents

Toronto Star
By: City Hall Bureau reporter, Published on Tue Aug 20 2013

Toronto’s derelict port lands area could be transformed if the city hosted the 2025 world’s fair, says a city councillor who’s pushing for a bid.

“There’s 400 to 500 acres of available land in the port lands right now that is looking for investment,” said Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale).

City council last year backed doing a feasibility study, but the federal government — which must submit a bid on behalf of the host city — isn’t interested, Wong-Tam said.

The Stephen Harper government is concerned about costs, but Wong-Tam said a world’s fair could be an economic boon with lasting benefits, like those held in Montreal in 1967 and Vancouver in 1986.

“If you visit those cities, you will see that their waterfronts were transformed after hosting the world’s fair,” she said Tuesday.

The city has commissioned a feasibility study expected to be tabled Oct. 24 at council’s economic development committee, but Ottawa plans to withdraw by December from the body that authorizes world’s fairs.

Wong-Tam was joined at a city hall news conference by current and former politicians and civic leaders, including community activist and talk show host John Tory.

To view the full article, click here